Sunday, January 21, 2007

I Hate Jonathan Daly *

I have come to hate Jonathan Daly. I didn't think I could, but I do.

You see, I don't hate him as a person ... I don't even know him. But I hate how unbalanced he is in providing production details in his scripts. I am currently working on the Lighting and Sound designs for Montgomery Theater's production of "A Good Look at Boney Kerne." And the first time through the script, I marvelled at all the attention payed to the lighting. Now, the information is not necessarily there for lighting people to follow by rote. But it does help provide a sense of the scene ... especially for the actor.

That attention to detail is missing, however, when it comes to music.

Jonathan Daly, like other playwrights, has included music suggestions in the stage directions. For example: "Play 'The Homecoming.'" OK ... written and/or performed by whom, Jonny boy?! Perhaps he used specific songs that were popular and easy to find on the radio back in 1977. But I have no idea how to find them now!!

Anyway, the lighting is coming along. There is still quite a bit of work to do, but the top and front lighting is up, and the instruments even have color now.

From the album: Boney Kerne - Taking Shape


Next up is to hang fixtures to be used as specials (for spots and time transitions). However, I need to wait --four of the specials cannot be put into position until after the company artist paints some scenery on the masking just outside the window.

That's all for now. See ya next time...


* No playwrights or scripts were harmd in the making of this blog entry.

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

Those lights look like alien ships :)